11 May 2008

Pale Blue Dot

Wes Says:

Happy Mother's Day. Wikipedia claims that this Carl Sagan made his famous "Pale Blue Dot" speech in a commencement address on this day in 1996. I can't actually find that verified anywhere else, but I'll run with it and pretend its an anniversary. Just to confuse the issue more, the picture that I put up isn't even the picture he was talking about; Sagan was discussing a picture of Earth from the Voyager 1 probe, from 4 billion miles away. The picture below is from the Mars Global Surveyor satellite and was taken in 2003, after Sagan had already died. I think its a bit more evocative. Enjoy, and don't forget the one mother we all share. Oh god, I'm a tool for saying that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey guys,

why no updates? SO... I got Skype. And I found Claudine, no problem.

But I can't get you to come up schwesley. (That's what she said) I looked for hottie mchotterson and everything and it didn't find you.

what should i do?!?!

I'm KatelynMattox by the way.

Anonymous said...

Well, you're right about one thing: that last line most certainly makes you sound like a total d-bag.

I'm IanConlon, by the way.